Sunday, May 31, 2009

FAVORITE SCRIPTURES

One very interesting method of presenting which I have discovered is to ask for favorite scriptures. From most groups I get three or more. In one of our meetings in Central Java, there were just three:

Psalm 37:4

Psalm 23:1
1 Cor 2:9

These scriptures all fit nicely into the message of the day for this area, described in the previous blog.

The basic teaching is from Romans 8:28 about whether we qualify, and whether we believe.

Then the additional encouragement about what great things God is about to do (1Cor 2:9) which we can’t even imagine. I also included some other scriptures like Luke 21:12-13. I also used James 1:2-4 which is described in the previous teaching on Faith.

Psalm 23 is one we haven’t looked at in this Faith series yet. We could consider this just a song of David. We could also make it our song, our confession, our discussion with God. If it becomes our confession, then we acknowledge that the Lord (Jesus) is our shepherd. We know that Jesus is our creator from John 1, Colossians 1, and other scriptures, and as such he loves us and will provide for us. We know he loves us because of the abundance of New Testament scriptures, from which we know he loves us so much he gave his life for us. So he will provide for us, protect us (in the ways described later in the Psalm, among others) just because he loves us.

In addition, his position as a shepherd is a job, with responsibilities. As a shepherd he is required to take care of us. When we realize this, and believe it, then the confession and profession of faith in the second part of verse 1 becomes ours. I shall not want. I lack nothing now, and I shall lack nothing in the future. I don’t lack health, I don’t lack wealth, I don’t lack customers (if I own a business, for example), I don’t lack friends, I don’t lack wisdom, I don’t lack clothes, and so on. I just simply don’t lack, don’t have needs that are not met.

It is amazing!! The favorite scriptures were quite unexpected, not the usual, especially the 1 Corinthians one, but they all fit together to make a message of faith. I kind of suspect any three scriptures might do so. The amazing thing to me is that as I stood in front of the congregation, I actually saw the message along with supporting scriptures materializing. And the message was an hour long, with interpretation. Not just a short few paragraphs as in this blog post. The Lord is good. He is my shepherd, and I shall lack nothing, especially a message tailored just for the group to whom I happen to be speaking at the time!!

No comments: