Wednesday, March 7, 2007

JESUS the WORD: RUTH

In preparing for my talk with PD RUTH (see Walking with Jesus blog), I noticed some thing I had never noticed before. I have read the Bible through every year, usually different versions, for more than 25 years, and I am continually amazed at what haven't seen or noticed before!

This new thing has nothing to do with the teaching I brought, but is interesting enough to me I will share it. It concerns culture. In Chapter 2, Ruth offers to Naomi, her mother-in-law, to go into the fields, which she then does.
I find the interesting thing in verse 8 and 9. It appears that the reapers are women, for Boaz cautions Ruth to stay close to his maidens, in the field they do reap. Then in verse 9 he tells her to drink from the water which his men have drawn.
Remember in John chapter 4, the woman at the well. It seems in Jesus' day, it was the work of women to draw water, not the men. And when Jesus talks about reaping, he talks to men, as though reaping is a man's job.
Well, I think it's interesting!

No comments: